Our History

  • 1955

    Melvin J. Larson, a college professor, worked with Will County Health Department to identify 35 cases of children with cerebral palsy, formed parents group.

  • 1956

    UCP of Will County became an affiliate.

  • 1960

    The first school for children with cerebral palsy was opened at Rehn School in Joliet, IL.

  • 1965

    A larger facility was rented on Manhattan Road in Joliet, IL to accommodate growing attendance.

  • 1979

    Expanded to add respite care, family support services and an adult day training program.

  • 1981

    Moved to the Cherry Hill Joliet, IL facility.

  • 1982

    Relocated operations to St. Mary’s Hospital temporarily.

  • 1985

    Purchased the Reedswood School in Joliet IL, brought the school and adult day training programs under one roof.

  • 2012

    Added an Autism room for school program.

  • 2013

    Constructed completely wheel chair accessible playground on agency property.

  • 2014

    Disaffiliated with United Cerebral Palsy National, became the Center for Disability Services.